by Lori Cunningham
Before leaving for Orlando, HTC sent me their newest phone, the Rhyme to test out while on my trip. HTC enhanced the phone with ideas they had taken from a focus group a number of us attended at BlogHer ’11.
- Color – the phone only comes in purple – a nice deep rich color
- Size – unlike many of the latest phones, the Rhyme is smaller, less bulky
- Dongle – a very unique feature in which a purple cube with a long cord is plugged into the Rhyme. Place the phone in your purse and clip the cube to the strap or a pocket on the outside of your purse. When your phone rings or you receive a message, the purple cube blinks and alerts you so you can follow cord and find your phone to respond quickly.
- Bedside Alarm Dock – a foam/rubber tilted docking station designed to cradle your phone so you can easily see it and access it from your bed. Your phone charging cord plugs from the wall into the docking station so your phone receives power through the night. Once docked, the phone main screen turns into a large clock screen and your alarm clocks are easily accessible. In addition, you can have your pictures illuminate your screen with a slideshow as well as listen to your favorite tunes. Simply brilliant.
- Android™ platform (Gingerbread) with HTC Sense
- 3.7” WVGA super LCD screen
- Magic cube alerts you of incoming calls
- 5 megapixel 28mm f/2.2 camera with auto focus and power LED flash
- Light sensor
- Bluetooth enabled
- Proximity sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack
- Dual microphone
- Docking station
- Magic cube – alerts you that your phone is ringing or you’re receiving a message
- Docking Station – great for a bedside alarm and charging (love this – especially for travel)
- LCD is too small for me
- You really need to personalize the home screen to make it easier to find your favorite apps.
A Mom’s Perspective
I really enjoyed using the female-enhanced features of the Rhyme Android phone. The bedside docking station came in handy while staying at the hotel in Orlando. The alarm and snooze features worked great. I loved seeing the slideshow of the pictures of the kids I took while on our trip.
The magic cube dongle was very handy too. While attending the Ford event, I could have my phone in my purse and not worry if a phone call or message came in. My phone was in silent mode but my magic cube could still alert me if I needed to reach for my phone. The HTC Rhyme’s size and weight works well for purses and fits nicely in pockets. I loved how it fit in the front pocket of my favorite jean jacket.
Although I prefer a larger screen, I feel that the HTC Rhyme really gives you a lot for your money. The included headphones, docking station, and alert dongle provide much more value than most smartphones.
The HTC Rhyme is available through Verizon Wireless and retails for $199.99.Tweet