by Lori Cunningham (@wellconnectdmom)
By now you may have heard that Apple just introduced their new iPad mini. So called because the screen is 7.9 inches diagonal compared to the iPad 9.7 inch diagonal. This new size does make it easier to hold the tablet in one hand. Many people have longed for a smaller iPad size so it’s easier to transport and takes up less space in a purse or bag.
How does the new iPad mini compare to its predecessors?
- 1024-by-768 resolution (same as the newest iPad)
- Dual-core A5 (same as iPad 2, not as powerful as the newest iPad)
- 5MP photos (same as newest iPad)
- 1.2 MP FaceTime camera (same as newest iPad)
- 1080 HD video recording (same as newest iPad)
- Nano-SIM (other iPads use micro-SIM cards)
- Lightening Connector (uses same adapter as newest iPad)
- Battery life can last up to 10 hours (similar to other iPads)
- Siri is built-in (same as newest iPad)
I’m disappointed to see that the pricing is not much different from the iPad 2. I was hoping the cost for the 16mb would be closer to the $250 price point but the iPad mini 16 mb weighs in at $329 for the Wi-Fi version.
The price is still $170 less than the latest iPad, but is still priced way out of the kids’ arena for tablets and gadgets which is typically between $150 – $250. It’s unlikely younger kids will be asking for the iPad mini over the iPod Touch as a result of the price.
A Mom’s Perspective
Because of the price point, I would not recommend the iPad mini for kids. With a bigger screen, it’s more likely to break when dropped than an iPod Touch. If you have an original iPad or iPad 2 and you are thinking about buying the mini, it might be a better trade-up for you (over the latest iPad) if you if you fancy a more portable size.
iPads are the latest craze in the home automation industry with homeowners desiring several iPads throughout the house. The iPad mini might be a more affordable method to access apps to control lights, TV’s, receivers, etc. than equipping the home with several full-size iPad’s.
I love the fact that the iPad mini has the same camera and video camera specs as the current iPad. The main drawback is that the iPad mini has a slower processor than the newest iPad.Tweet