By Lori Cunningham
While at the Consumer Electronics Show, I ran across a unique type of antivirus product, one that is designed to be on the go with you. It’s called the AhnLab V3 Click and it’s basically a big fun colorful button that you plug into your PC or laptop via USB. According to AhnLab, it is not necessary for antivirus software be be installed on every computer or laptop you own. You really only just need antivirus software when you’re using a computer. That’s it. So AhnLabs created the V3 Click so people could use it on their PC at home, their laptop when on the go, or even use it on the family PC.
How it’s Installed
Basically you just plug in the AhnLab V3 into any available USB port on your computer/laptop. I tested it on our family PC, which by the way did not have antivirus protection, and within minutes it was up and running. As my daughter likes to search for her favorite Taylor Swift videos on YouTube or read the latest gossip on her favorite celebrities on Fanlala, I knew that this PC needed protection…and right away. After plugging in the V3 Click into our computer I received a message about allowing the AhnLab V3 software to load on my computer.
I clicked OK to install the V3 Click antivirus program on my PC and my AhnLab V3 Click glowed a red-orange color. While installing, you receive a cute video about how AhnLab V3 Click works. After the software was installed, the color of the V3 Click button turned to green. I could now find my V3 Click software in my system tray, as signified by the blue V3. I can right-click here to update, access my monthly report, or clean up my PC.
Later, I conducted a Clean Wise check, which took about 20 minutes. My V3 Click button glowed blue until the scan was finished. I received this report at the end of the Clean Check scan. This report will pop up every month to show me the progress of the antivirus software.
You will have to load the software on each new PC/laptop you use V3 Click with, however, you only need to load the software once. The AhnLab V3 Click will work as soon as you re-plug in the USB into your computer’s port.
- Clean Wise – a quick scan of the more vulnerable areas of your computer to enhance system performance
- Stay Awake – the antivirus runs in the background checking for threats
- PC Clinic Chart – shows you the V3 Click history of operation and the current status of your PC
- PC Optimization - runs a thorough check of your PC, removing junk you don’t need from your registry, temp files, and memory. It stabilizes yet enhances the performance of your PC
- built-in 2 port USB hub, right in the V3 Click itself – automatically scans any USB devices connected to the hub
- easy to install
- easy to use
- is cheaper than putting antivirus on all of your PC’s and laptops
- has a built-in 2 port USB hub to easily connect thumb drives or other accessories, which immediately deletes/repairs any threats it finds on these attached devices
- the PC Optimization is a very useful tool to help speed up your PC’s performance
- you can quickly identify the status of your PC by the color of the button. A simple click on a red button helps you clean up any issues V3 Click found
- the big button is just too enticing, my kids constantly want to press the green button, which starts a Clean Wise scan
- doesn’t protect two computers or more being used at once
- according to PCMag, V3 Click had trouble removing some malware issues in testing and tested low in comparative antivirus score testing
- it’s a bit pricey
The AhnLab V3 Click sells for $36.99 through Amazon and includes antivirus service for the first year. After that, the antivirus can be renewed for $19.99/year.
A Mom’s Perspective
I like the simplicity of AhnLab’s V3 Click. I’ve been worried about my family PC for awhile, and plugging the V3 Click in and having antivirus protection right away was easy. I have no antivirus protection on my ultrabook and netbooks, so I anticipate I will take the V3 Click with me when traveling. It not only protects my ultrabook/netbook, but also gives me two additional USB ports I can use to charge my devices. It’s a win-win.
Now I’ll be honest. I’ve never experienced a virus issue on my ultrabook or netbook. I don’t use these devices too often, which is probably why I never purchased antivirus for them. However, viruses are becoming more and more prolific, especially with the advent of ”free” programs or WiFi access. I love the idea of using the V3 Click on my family PC yet borrowing it for my ultrabook/netbook when I travel. I see V3 Click even more valuable when I travel on vacation with the family and the kids hit my ultrabook or netbook pretty hard. Now I can worry less about any viruses they might pick up.
Yes, the PCMag critique causes some pause about whether the V3 Click is picking up all of the malware issues, but that review was written in November last year and it is my hope that they have updated their virus/malware database since then. Besides, some protection is better than no protection and I like the simplicity of it.
* I was given a AhnLab V3 Click in exchange for my honest opinion.Tweet